Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Ambulance Dispatcher

Ambulance Dispatcher

Duties and Responsibilities:

Police, fire, and ambulance dispatchers, also called 9-1-1 operators or public safety telecommunicators, answer emergency and nonemergency calls. They answer 9-1-1 telephone calls. Determine the type of emergency and its location. Decide the appropriate response based on agency procedures. Relay information to the appropriate first responder agency. Coordinate the dispatch of emergency response personnel to accident scenes. Give over-the-phone medical instructions before emergency personnel arrive. Monitor and track the status of police, fire, and ambulance units. Synchronize responses with other area communication centers. Keep detailed records about calls.

Salary:

$36,300 per year  / $17.45 per hour

Education:

Most dispatchers are required to have a high school diploma. In addition, candidates must pass a written exam and a typing test. In some instances, applicants may need to pass a background check, lie detector and drug tests, as well as tests for hearing and vision. Most states require dispatchers to be U.S. citizens, and some jobs require a driver’s license. Both computer skills and customer-service skills can be helpful. Being bilingual is also a major plus for this section.

Reflection:


I think this job would suit me. I like to help people and I always manage to stay calm. Although however, a major key in this job is not to be attached to the caller. For example, if they held hostage and they die, I would feel guilty because I was their last hope to escape. I don’t think I can handle that. But then again I’m strong and I’m quick and I’m reliable with information. I think I’ll look into this more.

No comments :

Post a Comment